Posts for: July, 2019
If your child has been diagnosed with a chronic health issue, you and your pediatrician must work together to calm the symptoms during episodes and reduce the effects on your child’s lifestyle. Fortunately, the doctors and staff at White Oak Pediatrics in Raleigh, NC, are here at your service, ready to assist you with the latest and most effective treatments for children.
What Is a Chronic Health Issue?
Nearly 27 percent of children in the United States live with chronic illnesses, a figure that has increased drastically since the 1990s according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information. A health problem that is chronic is one that reappears often or persists in its symptoms for extended periods of time. Generally, if a condition lasts for more than a few months, it will be classified as “chronic” by your child’s doctor.
Common Chronic Illnesses in Children
As can be expected, children sometimes need extra help in dealing with and recovering from chronic health and behavioral issues. These are a few of the most common chronic conditions that the doctors at our Raleigh office can treat:
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder)
- Sickle cell anemia
- Congenital heart complications
- Cystic fibrosis
Help Managing Chronic Conditions
The best way to ensure that your child is as healthy as possible despite a chronic illness is to become a close ally with their pediatrician. Explore these options with your doctor in order to better manage your child’s condition:
- Prescription medications and revolutionary drug therapies.
- Immunizations when necessary to protect your child’s immune health.
- Behavioral and talk therapy for children with chronic mental health disorders, like ADHD.
- Stress management solutions, as some children may struggle because of environmental and lifestyle factors.
- Nutritional advice, as many chronic conditions are related to the diet, exercise, and weight of a child.
- Surgical procedures when recommended.
Get More Information
The more knowledge that you and your pediatrician have about your child's chronic condition, the better it can be managed. Call (919) 787-0266 today to set a convenient time to visit a children’s doctor at White Oak Pediatrics in Raleigh, NC.